Newcastle aim for thrilling transfer for Brazilian striker Gabriel ‘Gabigol’ Barbosa


Exclusive:

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe is desperate for more firepower as his side battle relegation from the Premier League, while Callum Wilson was injured in Monday’s draw with Man Utd.

Video upload

Video unavailable

Newcastle United v Manchester United: pictures

Newcastle are interested in a loan for Brazilian international striker Gabriel Barbosa after Benfica refused to sell Darwin Nunez in January.

Toon boss Eddie Howe is desperate for more firepower to bolster the Magpies’ hopes for Premier League survival.

He has plenty of resources following the club’s £ 300million Saudi takeover.

Barbosa, 25, known as Gabigol, is among the options explored after 14 goals and five assists this quarter in his homeland with Flamengo, who finished second at the end of the Brazilian top flight this month.

Flamengo is open to a six-month loan in January if it includes a £ 17million deal to make it permanent in the summer if Newcastle survive.







Gabriel Barbosa from famous Flamengo
(

Picture:

Buda Mendes)


But Barbosa is not convinced to move to Tyneside in the New Year as it is uncertain whether Newcastle will be able to attract many more top players next month.

The former Inter Milan striker has told Flamengo he prefers to stay with them, where he is under contract until 2024.

The Brazil international has scored five goals for his country in 17 appearances.

Super agent Pini Zahavi is trying to set up the loan, but Barbosa’s reluctance to join Newcastle’s relegation battle has left the North East club to consider other options.

Earlier this month, Newcastle also sought out Benfica striker Nunez, who has scored 13 goals and two assists this term.

But the Portuguese club declined any interest in selling the Uruguayan striker in January.






Uruguayan Benfica striker Darwin Nunez

Benfica have said they would only be interested in selling Nunez, 22, in the summer and have asked for £ 60million.

Newcastle’s need for more firepower was not met in Monday’s 1-1 draw with Manchester United as the hosts saw only a second Premier League win of the season snatched from them hold.

Howe said: “Naturally we’re disappointed that we didn’t win, I thought we deserved it.

“We defended very well, I thought we were very tight in our lines.

“I thought we were really diligent, great tactically, the players defended really well in partnerships.

“Then we were really good in the transitions, a real counterattack threat throughout the game and we created a really good chance for that second goal, which was probably crucial in the end.”







Newcastle striker Callum Wilson limped against Manchester United
(

Picture:

PENNSYLVANIA)


A well-deserved point came at a cost, with Callum Wilson suffering from a potentially serious injury and Allan Saint-Maximin also limping to leave a team, already exhausted by positive Covid tests, still decimated before the planned trip Thursday night to Everton.

When asked if he expected this game to play out, Howe replied, “I don’t know. We’ll see what the situation is with the players we have.”

Read more

Read more


Comments are closed.